Tiger Rally: Marietta High earns 48-37 win over Black Bears

There weren’t too many offensive fireworks in Sutton Gymnasium Friday night, but Marietta High used a 21-8 fourth quarter to rally for a 48-37 ECOL victory over River View on “Senior Night.”

It was the second to the last home game for Tiger seniors Cameron Benson, Reid Chwalek, Ethan Strauss and Derek Amrine. Senior Jordan Satterfield (injured) did not play but was also recognized.

“It’s really emotional,” Benson said. “A lot of memories on this court.”

Benson led the Tigers with four assists and also contributed seven points and four rebounds.

“We had shots all game,” Benson said. “We always say we’re still shooters, just keep shooting and they’ll fall when they need to fall. They fell tonight late.”

Hunter Winegar hit a 3-pointer to start the game, but Benson made it 3-2 on a mid-range jumper via an assist from Amrine. John Rice then scored four straight points for the Black Bears to stretch the lead to 7-2.

Junior Braden Riley, who had a game-high 13 points, scored three consecutive baskets to give the Tigers their first lead of the game at 8-7.

Winegar hit a triple to put River View up 10-8 at the end of the first quarter.

Marietta opened the second period with four straight points on a Riley basket and a put back by sophomore Jonathan Wood to take a 12-10 lead.

River View fired back with a bucket by John Dart and a free throw from Tyler Triplett to retake the lead. Freshman John Henry drained a 3-pointer, but Matt Brillhart responded with back-to-back 3s of his own to put River View up 19-15. After a freebie from Dart, Riley connected on a shot to make the score 20-17 at the half, in favor of the Black Bears.

Midway through the third period, a pair of foul shots by Dart put the Black Bears up 23-19 before a 3-ball by Benson and a jump shot by Chwalek gave the Tigers a 24-23 advantage.

Winegar then struck for back-to-back treys to match River View’s largest lead of the game at 29-24. With three seconds left in the quarter, Benson found Hill open in the left corner on an inbound pass and Hill nailed the 3-pointer at the buzzer to cut the deficit to 29-27 going into the final period.

Benson assisted Hill on another 3-point basket to open the third quarter and then Riley made a free throw to give the Tigers a 31-29 lead. River View quickly retook the lead, but Chwalek hit two buckets in a row to make it 35-33 in favor of Marietta. Taner Belagia made a 3-pointer to give River View the lead for the final time.

After a free throw by Benson tied it at 36-36, Chwalek handed out back-to-back assists on a 3-pointer by Hill and a layup by Henry to stretch Marietta’s lead to 41-36. The Tigers then scored seven of the game’s final eight points to secure the victory.

“It’s a good win for our guys,” said Marietta head coach J.D. Secrest. “It’s been awhile since we’ve had one. We needed something. We’ve got some tough games coming up down the road.”

Marietta was 18-for-55 (33 percent) from the floor while River View shot 10-37 (27 percent). The Black Bears turned the ball over 15 times compared to eight times for the Tigers.

River View was led by Winegar’s 12 points. Winegar was the only Black Bear in double figures.

To go along with Riley’s 13 and Benson’s seven, Hill added nine points and Chwalek had eight.

“It took Corey (Hill) awhile but he finally hit a couple there in a row,” Secrest said. “I thought Reid (Chwalek) played real well coming off the bench. We needed somebody to come off the bench and give us a spark. Tonight Reid stepped up and made some key plays.”

The Tigers, now 7-11, face a tough stretch ahead, as they travel to Athens today to play the Bulldogs and then go up against Warren Tuesday in Vincent.