24 goats perish in barn fire
A total of 24 goats were the apparent victims of a barn fire at 9390 State Route 26 in Lawrence Township Saturday.
According to a report from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, the structure belonged to Mary A. Davis whose home is also located on the property but was not damaged by the blaze.
A neighbor called 911 around 11:40 a.m. after a passer-by reported the barn was on fire.
Firefighters from the Little Muskingum, Fearing, and Reno volunteer fire departments fought the blaze, but were unable to save the structure.
A total of 10 adult goats and 14 baby goats housed inside the barn were killed by the fire.
Little Muskingum Fire Chief Ron Warren said a broken element in a heat lamp being used to keep the baby goats warm was the likely cause of the blaze.
The barn was deemed a total loss.
Warren said he did not suspect foul play was involved in the blaze and did not call the Ohio State Fire Marshal’s office.
Deputies temporarily closed that section of Ohio 26 to through traffic for a short time so emergency vehicles could access the fire.