Man charged in boy’s bathtub death

A Marietta man has been charged with child endangerment in the death of 23-month-old Connar Hilton, a Waterford Township boy who died Tuesday from injuries due to a near drowning.

Joshua D. Sciance, 25, of 111 W. Montgomery St. Lot 12, had put Hilton and his 3-year-old sister in the bathtub Monday night and later came back to find the boy face down in the water, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

“He was living with the mother. He was a live-in boyfriend. He was babysitting while she was out working,” explained Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks of Sciance’s relationship to the children.

Sciance initially told officers that he had only left the children unattended for three or four minutes shortly after he put them in the bath around 8 p.m., according to the affidavit of facts released by the sheriff’s office.

However, he did not call 911 until 9:15 p.m., said the affidavit.

Upon further questioning, Sciance admitted to leaving the children unattended for at least 20 minutes while he cooked and then ate a pizza.

He also told officers he had begun drinking at 2 p.m. that day and had consumed eight 16-ounce beers over the course of the day.

The Beverly-Waterford Fire Department responded to the 911 call and transported Hilton to Marietta Memorial Hospital that night, but Hilton was soon transferred to Children’s Hospital in Columbus to be put on life support.

According to initial findings of the pathologist, the child died as a result of injuries sustained in the incident.

Hilton, the son of Christopher Michael Hilton and Danielle Oliver, would have turned 2 on Sunday.

Child endangerment that results in the death of a child is a third-degree felony, said Mincks.

Under the Ohio Revised Code, a third-degree felony is punishable by a maximum of three years in prison.

Sciance could possibly face other charges when his case is brought before a grand jury, said Mincks.

Sciance is being held without bond in the Washington County Jail. He is set to be arraigned Monday at 8 a.m.