Alumni gathering

The Alumni of Marietta Township, Reno, Barker, Goose Run, Jennings Hill, Yankeeberg and Cornerville schools met at the Reno Recreation Center on May 18 for their annual reunion. Following a covered dish dinner, Carlton Schramm called the meeting to order with the Pledge to the Flag. On this tribute to Veterans Day, Clyde Grub read the names, places and year of deaths of three classmates who died in World War II. Those being: Everett Sparks, The Aleutian Islands, 1943; Duane Lankford, France, 1944; and Charles Simmons, Luzon, 1945. A memorial will be planned for the room a the Recreation Center, that has been set aside for memorabilia from the schools. Frank Brum was instrumental in putting this room together. Anyone having items they would like to donate could leave them with the secretary at the center.
Those who have passed since last year, or a family member, were remembered. They are: Jane Hiener; George Wilson, husband of Luella Hiener; Stanley Eddy, father of Jeff Eddy and Judy Eddy Adkins; David Long, husband of Patty Boswell Long; Robert Haas; Frank Brum; Ellen Jane Seevers Grub; Barry Warden; and Bruce Ingraham, son of Charles Ingraham.
This group began in 1990 when a group met to discuss the possibility of renewing a reunion group that had been disbanded in 1980. The first get-together was May 5, 1990, at Goodfellows Park. Almost 100 attended and they unanimously agreed to continue as an annual meeting. The original committee of Lewis Canary, Earl Carver, Clyde Grub, Ray Kesselring, Frank Brum was asked to continue with Lewis Simmons being added to the committee. The group has met the third Saturday of May since then in various locations.
Carlton Schramm has served as president and Nancy Smith as treasurer for many years. They each asked that new officers be selected are they are: Ron Seevers, president and Rose Casto, treasurer. Mary Dellinger will continue as secretary. Agnes Simmons acted as secretary at this meeting.
There were 75 to 80 present, many from out of town and state. Old friendships were renewed and many enjoyed looking through the old records and furnishings that are now housed at the center.
The 2014 meeting will be May 17 at The Reno Recreation Center.