Sectional soccer: Marietta High boys blank South Point 6-0

DEVOLA – The offensive success that the Marietta High girls soccer team had Monday at the Devola Soccer Complex carried over for the boys team Tuesday as the Tigers scored five goals in the first half and one in the second to defeat South Point 6-0 in the first round of the sectional tournament.

A day after the Lady Tigers romped Canton McKinley 12-0, the boys team kept it going as senior Jacob Holdren recorded a hat trick and junior Max Suckel contributed a pair of goals.

“Possession was key,” said Tigers head coach Todd Morris.

“We created a lot of chances. Once we got the first one we were able to relax a little bit.”

The first goal came in the 22nd minute of the match. Junior Ryan Teer handled the ball in the right corner of the field and booted it back to the middle, where freshman Ben Dehmlow received it and punched it into the back of the net.

About a minute-and-a-half later, Dehmlow was right in thick of things again. The freshman hit a nice corner kick, which Holdren was able to kick in bicycle-style for the score. The highlight reel play put the Tigers up 2-0.

Suckel made it 3-0 with his first unassisted goal with 11:45 remaining in the first half.

Later, with 6:10 remaining in the half, South Point keeper Brady Rickard was issued a red card and had to leave the game.

31 seconds later, with the backup goalie now in for the Pointers, Holdren was able to take advantage with his second goal of the contest to extend the lead to 4-0.

Suckel would add the Tigers’ fifth goal right before halftime to give MHS a 5-0 advantage.

The only score in the second half came at the 21:50 mark. Senior Brent Huck booted a free kick from midfield towards the net. The ball sailed just over the head of a South Point defender and right to Holdren, who was able to place it out of the keeper’s reach to complete the hat trick. “Jacob played really well tonight,” Morris said. “A big game for him as a senior.”

Defensively, the Tigers were stingy, allowing just five total shots. Keeper Eric Pierce, a senior, picked up a pair of saves and kept South Point off the scoreboard.

“Eric’s played well all year for us,” Morris said.

“We’ve been solid defensively all year. That’s how we like to build our team, from the back up. I tell them ‘If they don’t score, we can’t lose.’

For the Pointers, Rickard had seven saves while he was in the game. Alex Whitt recorded four saves in relief.

The second-seeded Tigers had 26 shot attempts on the night and six corner kicks. They improved to 12-2-3 with the victory and will host third-seeded Jackson at 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Devola Soccer Complex. Jackson defeated Minford 1-0 Tuesday evening to advance.