Four arrested on drug charges

A Marietta man with a felony record for drug trafficking was one of four people arrested by the Major Crimes Task Force Wednesday at an area hotel.

Tytus L. Shields, 25, of 906 Fifth St., was arrested on a third-degree felony charge of tampering with drugs and a fifth-degree felony charge of possession of cocaine.

“Agents received information that Tytus Shields was dealing narcotics from the room he rented,” said Major Brian Schuck of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

A search warrant was obtained for the hotel room where officers say they found bags that tested positive for cocaine residue and Xanax pills cut in half and stored in cellophane.

Two other men and a woman believed to be involved in the drug trafficking were also arrested.

Jamal J. Fuller, 20, of 406 S. Harris Ave., Columbus, and Travon J. Hammons, 29, of 645 Krum Ave., Columbus, were each charged with the same two felony counts as Shields.

“Fuller and Hammons were apprehended in the lobby of the hotel before and then agents went upstairs and executed the warrant in a hotel room where Shields and (Roseanna) Harbison were located,” said Schuck.

Schuck declined to name the hotel.

It is not uncommon for drug traffickers to travel from out of town and temporarily set up shop in a hotel, he said.

Harbison, 18, of 1708 Park St., Parkersburg, was ultimately charged with one fourth- and one fifth-degree felony count of trafficking in drugs after she was allegedly found to have 20 bags of crack cocaine and eight bags of tar heroin stored in her bra when she was entering the Washington County Jail.

“She gave it up to the corrections officers that she was in possession of narcotics. That’s why she was not charged with conveyance,” said Schuck referring to a third-degree felony charge that can be brought against individuals who try to sneak illegal items into the jail.

Shields has a history of drug trafficking in the area, said Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks.

“He pleaded guilty to trafficking in drugs, two counts, on Aug. 8, 2011. He was originally charged with engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity and that was reduced,” he said.

Shields was sentenced to two years on the charges. Information on whether he served the full sentence was not immediately available Wednesday.

Shields, Fuller, Hammons and Harbison were all held without bond Wednesday night at the Washington County Jail pending their initial appearance in court scheduled for today.