Greene St. slashing

Marietta police officers were looking for a man late Thursday who reportedly lashed out with a knife when confronted by the Greene Street resident whose car he was attempting to enter.

The Marietta Police Department responded to a call shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday in reference to a stabbing victim at Marietta Memorial Hospital.

Chris Sargent, 24, of 854 Greene St., was treated for lacerations to his left wrist and left leg, both of which required stitches, according to Det. Sgt. Greg Nohe.

“He had probably a three-inch laceration on his left forearm and a small laceration on his left leg. He needed stitches or staples,” said Nohe.

Sargent told officers he was leaving for work around 7:30 a.m. when he noticed a man with a slim jim, or lock picking tool, trying to break into his Chevy Impala.

“He yelled at him, told him to stop, walked up to him. The man produced a knife and slashed him in the left forearm. There was a struggle, and the man stabbed him also in front of the left thigh,” said Marietta Police Capt. Jeff Waite.

Sargent did not recognize the suspect but described him as a white male, 5-feet 9-inches tall, in his late 20s, of average build with brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing blue jeans and a dark shirt. He reportedly used a pocket knife in the attack, said Waite.

After allegedly stabbing Sargent twice, the man ran north toward Vine Street. Officers canvassed the area but found no one matching that description, said Waite.

After being stabbed, Sargent reportedly went into his home, alerted his wife, and went to the hospital. Waite said Sargent told him he thought it would be faster to go to the hospital than to call 911.

Officers spent the morning processing the crime scene, which included the roped off area where Sargent’s car had been parked between two other cars during the incident.

The gravel spot appeared undisturbed. Police did not find any blood in the area where the car had been parked, noted Waite.

No valuable items had been visible in the car, he said.

Police did not have any suspects, said Nohe Thursday evening.

“We’re developing witnesses as we speak,” he said.

Officers spoke to several neighbors shortly after the incident, and none reported seeing or hearing any sort of struggle, said Waite.

He asked that anyone who did notice the incident, which happened beside Sargent’s home near the former Kardex building on Greene Street, call the police at 373-4141. Waite said he is hopeful someone noticed something more, as the incident occurred on a busy street at a time when many were commuting to work.

If caught, the suspect would likely be charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.